Saturday, September 29, 2007

When the police interrupt your speech...


After yesterday's debacle, I tried once again to practice my humorous speech before a group of unsuspecting Toastmasters.

I was in a restaurant banquet room and just getting to my first punch line when four policemen walked in and sat down, which of course EVERYONE noticed.

I didn't miss a beat, I pointed to an elderly courtly lawyer who was sitting in front of me with one of those emphysema oxygen bottle breathing machines and said "Officers, if your looking for Mr. Smith he's right up front here, but he swears the waitress told him she was over 18 last week!"

(side note: these officers had all failed the oral portion of a promotion exam and the promotion board told them that Toastmasters might be good for them. Big ole brave policemen had to come as a group to muster up enough courage to do this together!!)

No comments: