Thursday, September 27, 2007

Murphy's law when giving a speech


I was visiting a Toastmasters club last week to practice the speech I plan to give at the upcoming humorous speech contest. Two-thirds of the way through my speech, I hear a very obnoxious cell phone go off...I try to ignore it.

A woman opens up her purse and pulls out the cell phone...Good LORD that is one LOUD ringtone.

She opens up the phone and says "Give me a moment please..."

Eyes are turning to her...I'm getting to the "funny" part of my speech....

She gets up to leave the room...and knocks over an elderly man sitting two seats over...."oh I am SOO SORRY!"

more eyes turning...I should've stopped right then.

She is still jabbering on her phone "honey...honey...wait just a minute until I leave the room.."

To leave the room she has to walk right in front of me. She limps so she moves very very slowly....

I've lost 50% or more of the audience at this point...

She says "Honey...stop crying, I can't understand you..."

Now EVERYONE has lost interest in whatever I had to say and is watching her.

My speech falls flat. Bleh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is the funniest Sad story, I feel for you brother Toastmaster. Last night I did a speech on Stage Fright my 9th speeech. I froze 1 minute into it and had NO idea where I was, when I looked at my notes I was on..Always write down your intro, because you may blank out. I did. Duh
BTW that lady was rude (another speech though) eh?