Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Hill of Beans


Since George Decider Bush has mismanaged the American economy to the point that the Canadian Loon is now on par with the American Dollar, I've noticed quite a few more Canadian visitors in Buffalo NY of late.

I was amazed to see 3 Canadians descend on a supermarket right next to the Peace bridge to Fort Erie. Like a plague of locusts, they were stripping every single can of baked beans from the shelves. In 3 carts they must have had over 300 cans of beans!!

The supermarket manager explained to me that there was some Canadian law that prohibited certain food items for sale without both English and French labelling and that baked beans were somewhat difficult to come by up north as few American manufacturers opted to put French labelling on their product. The price differential between Canadian baked beans and American baked beans is enormous.

I did notice that at the checkout I was not only asked "Paper or plastic"? But was also asked what currency I would be paying in!

No comments: