Saturday, August 8, 2009

Pay It Forward EIGHT YEARS!

In the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, an unfortunate situation occurred in my sleepy little subdivision: the only Arabic family (technically, they were from Syria) in our neighborhood were essentially treated like pariahs.

Their 12 year old son actually asked me if it was "okay if he and my son could still be friends". He said he would understand if I said "no". I laughed at him and told him to stop asking ridiculous questions like that....of course it was "okay" for them to be friends!!

Now, I hadn't seen him since he and my son graduated high school some years ago, and quite frankly I had forgotten about our little conversation. He, however, had not forgotten. It must have left a powerful impression upon him, because today, out of nowhere, EIGHT YEARS LATER...he was able to do my family a very nice favor that was greatly appreciated (forgive me if I'm being deliberately vague here on the details, it's a bit sensitive but appreciated nonetheless!)

I have a better appreciation for the concept of "Paying it forward"!

No comments: