Friday, July 26, 2013

Storage Warrior

My Dad always says "if something seems too good to be true, it usually is". I try and keep that in mind when bargain hunting on Craigslist.

I found the exact piece of rackmount server equipment I'd been needing at work on Craigslist this afternoon. New, it costs $670. This guy wanted $200, and said the equipment was brand new in the box. Oh heck yes, I'm interested.

He gave me his address and I jumped in the car. I drove 20 miles to one of the most run-down places outside of Houston I've ever seen. A thrift shop in what can charitably be described as a decaying warehouse. I thought long and hard....no way there is going to be anything new in this shop, it looks like stuff I threw out in the 1980s.

Went inside and lo and behold, there the equipment was, in the original sealed factory boxes. Because I'm the suspicious type, I had him open the box for me. Yep....all there. I gladly paid $200.

Curiousity got the better of me and I asked him (after he'd loaded it into my trunk) how he'd come by it.

Well, he got hooked on the TV show "Storage Wars" and tried bidding on various storage units in default. He did "so-so" for the last two or so years, then last month he hit the jackpot: He paid $500 for a unit chock full of state-of-the-art computer equipment (server farms, scanners, network storage)....about $25,000 worth of stuff. He priced it to move at 20 cents on the dollar, pocketed about 6 grand total, and now, by God, he and his wife and kids are goin' to Disney World.

More power to him!

No comments: