Friday, April 5, 2013

My breakfast with Tommy Lee Jones

Arrived at Atlanta airport this morning as part of the intense crush of people coming into town for the 2013 NCAA Final Four bastketball tournament. Sought shelter in the Airport atrium food court, sipping burned Starbucks coffee and reading my USA today.

Then Hollywood actor Tommy Lee Jones sat down at the table right next to me and things got very interesting.

Now, I'm not the type of guy to ask for autographs or anything, but I seem to be in the minority....there was a steady crush of people coming up to him and asking him for a picture and/or an autograph.

And here's the kicker: IT WASN'T TOMMY LEE JONES.

He looked like Tommy Lee Jones, he sounded like Tommy Lee Jones, but he patiently explained that he most certainly wasn't Tommy Lee Jones, he actually worked in the data processing department of Emory University.

I don't think anyone believed him.

After watching this spectacle for a good 10-15 minutes (including people basically trying to push me out of the way to get to "Tommy Lee", I decided that fame...even fame-by-proxy...has distinct drawbacks.

No comments: